The President’s Award Programme
The programme was designed with great care by a small team, led by HRH, the Duke of Edinburgh; Dr Kurt Hahn, German educationalist and founder of Outward Bound and the United World Colleges; and Lord Hunt, the leader of the first team to conquer Mount Everest.
This unique flexibility of the Award made it ideally suited to easy adaptation and integration into different cultures and societies. The programme is now adopted by many schools and youth organisations worldwide.
The President’s Award Program is specifically designed to challenge young people between the ages of 14 and 25 to fully develop their own talent qualities of leadership, to reach personal standards of achievement and effort, in a balanced programme of voluntary activities.
The young people are required to undertake activities in all of the following four areas:
- Service (including a residential project in Gold) – participants have the opportunity to prepare for and give service to others.
- Expedition or exploration– participants plan and undertake an adventurous journey or exploration. This section seeks to provide participants with a unique, challenging and memorable experience.
- Skills and interest – participants study a chosen skill or interest under the guidance of an experienced adult.
- Physical recreation – participants take part in a planned programme of physical activity.
At the end of the process, a young person who takes part in the Award should have developed many of the following:
- Self belief and self confidence
- A positive and realistic self image- they will know and accept their own strengths and weaknesses, and be more aware of their own potential
- An independent and self-motivating attitude
- A sense of responsibility to others
- A connection to the broader society
- New or improved interests, skills and abilities
- A willingness to try new things
- New friendships and relationships with their peers and older people
- The ability to make a plan and then make their plan happen
- Team skills
- Life skills
Within the four areas, Chameleon Adventure Academy can serve in the delivery of the expedition and service elements. Programs are conducted on Bronze, Silver, and Gold Levels.
- story template
- adventurous journey kit list
- confirmation of booking form (adventurous journey)
- indemnity form
- award leader guide book- adventurous journey preparation guide
- menu planning